Gutter guards sound like the perfect solution to the dreaded job of cleaning out your gutters. They are advertised as being able to prevent your gutters from clogging with leaves and debris. Many of the companies that sell them boast that you will never have to clean your gutters again. When it sounds too good to be true, chances are that it is just that.
Here are some of the top things to keep in mind when making the decision to invest in gutter guards….and invest would not be an overstatement as they can cost several thousand dollars, depending on the extent of your gutters.
- As mentioned, they are expensive! It would take several years for this option to begin paying for itself when compared to the cost of having your gutters cleaned professionally on a regular basis.
- It is inevitable that your gutters will still need to be cleaned, although not as often. Gutter guards will need to be removed to do a proper cleaning of the gutters.
- Some gutter guards are practically useless. It’s is imperative to research thoroughly all of the options available.
- The weight of gutter guards can cause your gutters to sag in the middle.
- Tree seeds can get caught in the gutter guard slots causing gutter trees to grow.
- Guards can be dented when using a ladder, etc. making them less effective.
If you must install gutter guards, make sure you buy ones that allow you to easily see through them to the bottom of the gutter. Avoid gutter guards that have solid tops and small slits near the front edge. Look for gutter guards that have a larger mesh-type open structure that resembles a fishnet or even a chainlink fence. These systems allow you to aim a garden hose nozzle through the guard so that water can easily flush away the debris that will collect in the gutter. Remember, you will have to clean your gutters or the gutter guards themselves
Better yet, give us a call and let us put your mind at ease by giving your gutters a thorough cleaning. One less thing for you to worry about and at a fraction of the cost of installing gutter guards that may only add to your gutter cleaning woes.