With the warmer weather knocking on our doors, it’s time to appreciate the sunshine in Vancouver. But before you enjoy that walk on the beach or a patio BBQ night, it’s important to get rid of the winter build-up of dust and grime. Let’s get our gloves and spring cleaning checklist ready so that we’re one step closer to smelling the roses.
The fluctuating weather leading upto spring and summer makes Vancouver home maintenance no easy task. At Umbrella Property Services, we’ve made it our mission to help you take care of your beautiful home. We’ve come up with the ultimate spring cleaning checklist so that you don’t have to worry about doing it all on your own.
Our spring cleaning checklist will have your house clean and sparkly in no time. The key to a good spring clean is to make sure you not only tackle your home’s interiors but the exterior as well.
So let’s get started then…
Spring Cleaning House Checklist
- Wash your walls, stairwells, and hallways with high traffic.
- Touch up paint
- Wash curtains
- Wipe down blinds
- Clean windows and their tracks (don’t forget the tracks because they fill up with dust and dirt)
- Dust your air vents and change out the filters
- Test smoke detectors
Although window cleaning might sound like an obvious choice when it comes to home maintenance, it is important to remember to get to the window tracks as well. Whether you leave your windows open or closed, the track usually catches all the dust, mildew, insect corpses, and mould. This is why cleaning your window glass isn’t enough.
If you’re not sure how to go about cleaning those tracks, it’s okay. Our trained technicians get to every nook and cranny for you, leaving your windows spotless and streak-free. Simply contact us, and we’ll be happy to provide you with a free estimate on our exterior cleaning services.
Outdoor Cleaning Checklist
- Inspect roof materials and roof flashing.
- Clean and inspect gutters and downspouts.
- We recommend booking a roof cleaning and gutter cleaning appointment 2 to 3 months after the initial roof cleaning is done.
- Inspect siding, walkways and path for moss and algae buildup that may have grown over the rainy months – Pressure wash if necessary.
- Inspect foundation cracks for moisture and insects.
- Inspect vents and other protected areas for bird and insect nests.
- Inspect weather-stripping around doors and windows. Repair if necessary.
- Clean windows and door screens. Repair and replace damaged screens.
- Inspect caulking and re-caulk if necessary.
- Clean debris away from your home.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from your home.
- Inspect decks, steps and rails for loose or damaged boards and raised nails.
Gutter cleaning is especially important in Vancouver, where rainfall is a very common occurrence. If you don’t get your gutters and roof cleaned frequently, now is your time to start doing so. Vancouver homes are often exposed to trees and overarching bushes which can block gutters and cause more damage to your property.
At Umbrella Property Services, we make it a point to thoroughly examine and clean your gutters, so that you don’t have to worry about them. Be sure to schedule your gutter cleaning appointment as we head into the spring season.
Indoor Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Inspect walls and ceilings for cracks, bows, sags and leans.
- Inspect the dishwasher for leaks.
- Clean range fan blades and housing.
- Clean and test refrigerator door gasket.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils.
- Clean washer’s water inlet filters and inspect hoses for leaks.
- Vacuum lint from dryer ducts and surrounding areas.
- Polish wood furniture, and dust light fixtures.
Plumbing and Electrical Checklist
- Inspect sinks and plumbing shut-off valves for leaks.
- Test toilets for stability and inspect for leaks.
- Inspect caulking around sinks, showers and bathtubs. Re-caulk if necessary.
- “Exercise” circuit breakers.
- Check for frayed appliance cords.
As you can see, there is a lot you need to do to maintain homes in Vancouver. But, don’t worry. We can make your job easier for you. Simply contact us and we’ll be happy to provide you some relief with our property maintenance services.